213 Cathedral Pl
Santa Fe, NM 87501
View Map Located next to the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi, this grassy, green park has plaques describing Santa Fe history and benches for relaxing.
Cross of the Martyrs
On Paseo de Peralta, between Otero Street and Hillside Avenue, north of E. Marcy St.
View Map This short, but steep, walkway begins at a stairway located on Paseo de Peralta. As you climb the steps, read the plaques that provide an overview of the city’s history. At the top of the hill, a white cross commemorates 21 Franciscan priests killed during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. Here, you can take in spectacular views of the city and surrounding mountains.
725 Camino Lego
Santa Fe, NM 87505
505 476-1145 View Map
In continuous publication since 1913, El Palacio is the country’s oldest museum magazine. The magazine covers the art, history and culture of the Southwest as reflected by the exhibitions, programs and research of the Museum of New Mexico family of museums and monuments.
El Rancho de las Golondrinas
334 Los Pinos Road, Santa Fe, NM 87507
El Rancho de las Golondrinas is a living history museum located on 200 acres in a rural farming valley just south of Santa Fe, New Mexico. The museum, dedicated to the history, heritage and culture of 18th and 19th century New Mexico, opened in 1972. Original colonial buildings on the site date from the early 1700s. In addition, historic buildings from other parts of northern New Mexico have been reconstructed at Las Golondrinas. Villagers clothed in the styles of the times show how life was lived on the frontier in early New Mexico. Special festivals and weekend events offer visitors an in-depth look into the celebrations, music, dance and many other aspects of life in the Spanish, Mexican and Territorial periods of the Southwest.
Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument
40 miles southwest of Santa Fe
Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument is a geologic wonder, full of towering cone-shaped tent rock formations formed after volcanic eruptions took place six to seven million years ago. Explore the contoured canyons and arroyos carved over the centuries by wind and water on a national recreational trail containing two segments. The Cave Loop Trail is an easy 1.2 mile hike. The more challenging Canyon Trail takes you 1.5 miles one-way into a narrow canyon then steeply up a 630-foot climb to the top of a mesa, with spectacular views of surrounding mountains. (Check the weather report before setting out to hike here as the canyon can flash flood and lightning can strike the ridges.) This is also a wonderful spot for viewing wildlife.
Take I-25 south to exit 264 for Cochiti Pueblo and onto NM 16. Turn right onto NM 22 and follow signs for Cochiti Pueblo and the national monument.
Nedra Matteucci Galleries
1075 Paseo de Peralta
Nedra Matteucci Galleries specializes in 19th and 20th century American art, including the Taos Society of Artists, the Santa Fe art colony, artists of the American West and masters of American Impressionism and Modernism. Also featured is a selection of Russian Realist paintings. Included in the collection are works by important contemporary painters and in our one-acre sculpture garden monumental sculptures by artists of international recognition.
Palace of the Governors
105 W. Palace Ave.
Santa Fe, NM 87501
To firmly ground yourself in New Mexico’s rich past, visit this museum on the Santa Fe Plaza. Built by the Spanish as a government building in 1610, the Palace remains the nation’s oldest continuously used public building. Its exhibits chronicle the history of Santa Fe as well as New Mexico and the region. The New Mexico Museum of History, which is physically and thematically linked to the Palace of the Governors and is now open.
San Miguel Mission
401 Old Santa Fe Trail
(505) 983-3974 View Map
This Spanish Colonial mission church is considered to be the country’s oldest church. Built by Tlaxcala Indians between 1610 and 1628 as part of the Barrio de Analca, it was damaged by fire during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 and partially rebuilt in 1710 following the Spanish reconquest of Santa Fe. The interior is steeped in history, with a late 18th-century altar screen, a carved wooden statue of St. Michael brought from Mexico in 1709 and portions of the original foundations visible beneath the existing floor.
Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi
231 Cathedral Place, Santa Fe, NM 87501
One block east of the Plaza on Cathedral Place and San Francisco Street
The crowning achievement of Archbishop Lamy’s church construction in New Mexico, the Saint Francis Cathedral was built between 1869 and 1886 and designed in the French Romanesque Revival style. Although its design contrasts the surrounding adobe buildings, the cathedral remains one of Santa Fe’s most celebrated landmarks. Built on the site of a church that was destroyed during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 and replacing a later adobe church called La Parroquia, the Saint Francis Cathedral was created with stone from local quarries. Portions of La Parroquia remain in the form of the Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary, which houses a wooden statue of the Virgin known as Our Lady of Peace. The statue was first brought to Santa Fe in 1625 and was returned to the city by the armies of Don Diego de Vargas during the re-conquest of 1692. In 2005, Pope Benedict XVI officially elevated the church to the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi.
207 Old Santa Fe Trail
Santa Fe, NM 87501
This glorious Gothic-Revival style chapel was completed in 1878 and modeled after King Louis IX’s Sainte Chapelle in Paris. The church was built for the Sisters of the Loretto, who established a school in Santa Fe in 1853. According to legend, St. Joseph the Carpenter had a role in the building of the chapel’s Miraculous Staircase, constructed between 1877 and 1881 with two 360-degree turns and no apparent means of support. Today, the church is a private museum and a popular site for wedding ceremonies.
Historic Santa Fe Foundation (El Zaguan)
545 Canyon Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
The foundation is Housed in a 19th-century home that combines Spanish Pueblo with Territorial styles. since 1961 the foundation has pursued a mission to own, preserve and protect historic properties and resources of Santa Fe and environs and to provide historic preservation education.
Bandelier National Monument
HCR 1, Box 1, Suite 15
Los Alamos, NM 87544
Best known for mesas, sheer-walled canyons, and the ancestral Pueblo dwellings found among them, Bandelier also includes over 23,000 acres of designated Wilderness. It was named for Adolph Bandelier, a 19th-century anthropologist. Proclaimed on February 11, 1916. Acreage: 32,737, all federal. Wilderness area: 23,267
Pecos National Historical Park
NM 63 (2 miles S of Pecos)
P.O. Box 418
Pecos, NM 87552
Take I-25 north 25 miles east of Santa Fe to exit 299 for Pecos village, and drive south two miles on Highway 63.
(505) 757-6414 Preserving more than 12,000 years of history, including Pecos Pueblo and Spanish mission ruins, Santa Fe Trail wagon ruts, the Forked Lightning Ranch, former home to movie star Greer Garson, and the Civil War Battle of Glorieta site, this national park provides a fascinating window to New Mexico’s past. Pecos, a major trading center with the Plains Indians, was perhaps the greatest of the pueblos when Europeans arrived.
New Mexico Museums, Parks and Monuments
Museum of New Mexico
113 Lincoln Ave.
Santa Fe, NM 87501
This statewide directory provides information about state museums, monuments and parks within New Mexico.
Bataan Memorial Military Museum and Library
1050 Old Pecos Trail
Santa Fe, NM 87505
(505) 474-1670 View Map
Opened by members of New Mexico’s national guard shortly after World War II, the museum’s main focus is the Bataan Death March, a World War II tragedy in the Philippine Islands that had a significantly harsh impact on New Mexico.
When the Japanese captured 70,000 U.S. and Filipino soldiers in 1942, most of New Mexico’s national guard was among them. Released more than three years later, only half of the 1,800 men from New Mexico survived to return home. On exhibit are maps, press clippings and testimonials, along with Civil War artifacts and items connected to the codetalkers and other Native Americans who participated in U.S. wars.
The museum is housed in the original Armory where the regiment was processed for service in 1941.